• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A V code(s)

Sparky

I am working on some practice exercises from the "Clinical Coding Workout Manual" provided to me for Medical Coding 2 from Penn Foster and had questions on V codes with minimal descriptions.

1. History of carcinoma of the breast? I selected V code V16.3 (Breast - Family history of condition classifiable to code 174) The answer given was V10.3 (Breast - History of conditions of classifiable to code 174 and 175)

2. History of colonic polyps? I selected V code 18.51 (Colonic polyps excludes history of malignant neoplasm of gastrointestinal tract (V16.0). The answer given was V12.72 (Colonic polyps).

I am trying to figure out what the difference is when the definition is almost if not identical in meaning. Please advise. Thanking you in advance.

Sparky

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
You need to pay attention to the headings of the sections. Some are for Personal History and others are for Family History of a disease or condition.

V10.3 = Has a personal history of breast cancer. V16.3 Has a family history (mother, sister, daughter) of breast cancer

V12.72 = personal history of colonic polyps. V18.51 = Family history or colonic polyps

The Blitz Review Videos help to sensitize you to these types of potentially confusing areas of codes and enable you to mark your books to avoid such errors.

Sparky

When it just says "History of" how can I tell whether it is personal vs. family then? I will definitely be purchasing blitz videos and the webinar replay club as soon as I can, I also have been watching the short versions of videos on YouTube as we speak and taking notes. This is why I get frustrated as I am learning. Thank you for responding.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
If the question is "history of xxx" then they are saying the patient has "history of xxx", or personal history. They would have to indicate family history by saying just that or indicating that the patient's mother, sister, etc. has had a history of the condition.